MoL will take places at the Lecture Theater of the G.O. Jones Building in QMUL Mile End campus. The exact location is shown in the following map:
The Mile End campus of QMUL is a 5-min walk from Stepney Green (District and Hammersmith & City lines) and Mile End (Central, District and Hammersmith & City lines) tube stations. The locations of the stations are shown in the above map.
Central London is very close: Liverpool Street station is only two stops on the Central Line (5 mins) from Mile End. Trains from Paris and the continent arrive at St Pancras; from there it's 20-25 minutes on the Underground. Trains from elsewhere in the UK could arrive almost anywhere. The number 25 bus (Oxford Circus to Ilford) travels along Mile End Road at five to ten minute intervals throughout the day, and stops outside QMUL.
The closest airport is London City Airport, 25 mins away by public transport. Next closest is Heathrow, with Gatwick, Stansted and Luton all further away - but they all take about an hour to get to QMUL. In rough order of travel time, fastest first:
- London City Airport (LCY) – about 25 minutes to central London (Bank), the same to Mile End
- Heathrow Airport (LHR) – from 15 to 60 mins to central London (Paddington) (quicker but more expensive on the Heathrow Express train, slower but cheaper taking the Underground all the way); 50-70 mins to Mile End
- Stansted Airport (STN) – 45 mins to central London (Liverpool Street); about 65 mins to Mile End
- Luton Airport (LTN) – about 25 mins to central London (St Pancras); 60-70 mins to Mile End
- Gatwick Airport (LGW) – 30-35 mins to central London (Victoria); about 70 mins to Mile End
Food and drink
There are several options for eating and having a drink near Queen Mary.
On the Mile End Road, towards and close to the Mile End underground station, there is a plethora of cafés and fast food places, e.g. Starbucks, Costa and Nandos. There is also an Indian buffet and a sit down Chinese restaurant. From the places close to the Stepney Green underground station, Pride of Asia stands out, which is also an Indian buffet.
The cheapest pub option is the The Half Moon on Mile End Road and close to Stepney Green Station. Nearby is the more expensive but good quality Italian restaurant Verdi (237 Mile End Road). Orthogonal to Mile End Road, just before the underground station, on Midlothian Road, there is the reasonably priced Afghan/Persian restaurant Ariana (2 Midlothian Road, London E3 4SE); also orthogonal to Mile End Road, on Grove Road, there is The Greedy Cow (2 Grove Road, London E3 5AX), with a popular range burgers from different sources; down the Grove Road, there is a lovely coffee shop The Coffee Room. Close to Mile End station there is the gastro-style pub The Morgan Arms (43 Morgan St Bow, London E3 5AA). The Palm Tree in the Mile End Park is a cosy and traditional East End pub (but beware it only takes cash). Some other places are shown on the map.
If you're looking for the Indian/Bangladeshi food for which the area is famous, there are many options on Brick Lane a little further west (get a bus or tube to Aldgate East or Whitechapel station), but they can be hit-and-miss; we recommend Tayyabs and the Lahore Kebab House nearby more highly.
Below you can find a list of hotels close to QMUL. All of these options are about 30 mins walk, 12-14 mins by bus (25/205) every 3-4 mins, 15 mins by tube (District/Hammersmith & City lines).
- Arbor City Hotel London ★★★ 12 Osborn Street, Aldgate East, London, E1 6TE (representative price £139)
- Ibis London City ★★★ 5 Commercial Street, London, E1 6BF (representative price £139)
- Ibis Budget London Whitechaper ★★ 100 Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1JG (representative price £69-85)
- Premier Inn London City (Aldgate) ★★★ 66 Alie Street, Aldgate, London, E1 8PX (representative price £109-128)
- Qbic Hotel London City ★★★ 42 Adler Street, London, E1 1EE (representative price £118-139)
- The Whitechapel ★★★★ 49-53 New Road, London, E1 1HH (representative price £107-186)
There are many other options within a reasonable distance from QMUL, check the following map: